1. Learn or explain what S.T.P. means in the treatment of first aid.
Stop the bleeding2. Learn the five basic needs required in survival and how to apply them in two different survival conditions.
Protect the injury
3. a. Learn to identify five edible plants in your area, give a description of each and what season best to eat or not eat. How to prepare.
- Lemon balm
- Maple leaves
3. b. Learn what amphibians, birds, fish, insects, reptiles, rodents, are edible. Describe at least five. How to capture and prepare.
3. c. Identify five poisonous plants that cause internal poisoning. List treatments and symptoms. Identify three contact poison plants and treatments.
- Snow berries
- English Ivy
- Poison oak (contact rash)
- Nettle (sting)
4. b. Learn different ways to light a fire without matches. Build a fire and maintain it.
4. c. Learn different ways to collect water. Build a solar still and collect some water in it. Learn two ways to purify water. Find out what will happen to your body if loss of water exceeds intake. List the symptoms.
5. Learn to read and orient yourself on a map.
How to read a map.
6. Learn why it's important to file a hike, travel, or flight plan.
7. Learn several signaling methods and describe how to use them for survival.
8. Put together a survival kit and first aid gear and know why each item is needed.
9. Talk with someone about the part they play in the survival of someone lost, i.e., forest ranger, search and rescue squad, air patrol.
10. Teach a group one of the new survival skills you learned.